For my own amusement, I worked up some type treatment logo designs for lesser-known Marvel luminaries and/or books which we - sadly - won’t be seeing pop up after Marvel Now!
Generally, I tried to limit the amount of custom lettering and tweaking and concentrate on using existing typefaces to create evocative logos, although I put together that The Thing design up to mix it up a bit and keep the set from looking too same-y…
First up, HEROES FOR HIRE, envisioned as a team-up book a la Marvel Two-In-One, except that it focuses - for the most part - on Marvel’s working class and street level heroes (A posh super-bloke like Captain Britain appearing every now and then for context, and because I like Captain Britain).
Each issue’s logo would include icons representing the heroes appearing in that issue …
Typeface is Magistral
This is the old Daredevil logo which launched my interest in side-projects like this. Since it shares some of the principles of three other logos, I decided to include it in the trade dress mockup …
This typeface is largely custom-made.
MACHINE MAN, a solo series starring Aaron Stack, until it changes to Machine Man And Devil Dinosaur, because goddamn that probably ought to be a thing that is real, if just once.
Typeface is Korataki and Franklin Gothic.
Like H4H, The Champions incorporates logos identifying team members. Here’s Hercules and Black Widow, and further logos might have a flaming skull, angel’s wings or a snowflake symbol, as a bunch of for instances …
Typeface is Futura
Strangely, although this one involved more original design-work than the others, it was a far quicker job (helps that I had the Thing head handy from another project…)
Typeface is Grobold and custom lettering. The image of The Thing is custom, based on a John Byrne illustration.
And lastly, a look at the pricing and branding area:
Typeface is Magistral
Ta-daa! Again, just in case there’s any confusion (like there was for the Daredevil logo when I first presented it, and the Marvel Pulp covers), these are not official logos sanctioned by Marvel, it’s just something I’m doing for my own amusement and to keep my graphic design muscles limber. I hope you enjoy!
Higher resolution images are available on my Flickr page.
- kaijuvsgiantrobotsvsme likes this
- specialist88 likes this
- tandyq reblogged this from calamityjon and added:
- milkswords likes this
- consolo72 likes this
- robot6 reblogged this from calamityjon
- ow-my-fingers likes this
- tharook likes this
- speakingjargon reblogged this from calamityjon
- speakingjargon likes this
- tardiscrash reblogged this from bzedan and added:
- tardiscrash likes this
- bzedan reblogged this from calamityjon
- bzedan likes this
- sxyblkmn reblogged this from calamityjon
- sxyblkmn likes this
- xorn5rant likes this
- pulpatoon likes this
- malybun likes this
- deantrippe likes this
- cola82 reblogged this from calamityjon and added:
- pabdesk likes this
- americandadxxxparody likes this
- incogvito reblogged this from calamityjon and added:
- bigredrobot likes this
- theotherjeff reblogged this from calamityjon
- baconx3 likes this
- shanembailey likes this
- thisyellowworld likes this
- jakeekiss likes this
- superman12849 reblogged this from calamityjon
- truerebels likes this
- deadend reblogged this from calamityjon
- shoulderfins reblogged this from calamityjon and added:
- shoulderfins likes this
- theinanescribblings likes this
- greatestidiot likes this
- great-name-leto likes this
- johnnyideaseed likes this
- natepatrin likes this
- uncannybrettwhite reblogged this from calamityjon and added:
- astonishingbrettwhite likes this
- gkambadais likes this
- calamityjon posted this